Rogan Josh Lamb Cutlets
Preparation time: 30 mins
Cooking time 5-7 mins
Rack lamb cut into 8 cutlet pieces with fat and gristle trimmed 2-3 tbsp vegetable oil
2-3 tbsp Patak’s Rogan Josh Paste
1 garlic clove finely chopped
2 tbsp natural yoghurt Juice of ½ lemon Season to taste
1. To make the marinade, mix Patak’s Rogan Josh paste, vegetable oil, natural yoghurt, garlic , chilli & salt in a large bowl.
2. Add the lamb cutlets, using your hands rub the marinade into the Meat ensuring each cutlet is evenly coated. Cover and leave to marinate For at 30 minutes or overnight for a fuller flavour.
3. Heat a heavy based frying pan or a griddle pan until very hot. Add the lamb Cutlets and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side until lightly brown. Cook no more than 5 minutes for rare cutlet or longer if you like your lamb well-cooked.
4. Alternatively cook in a grill, preheat the grill to medium and place the cutlets on the grill rack. For medium cooked lamb. Grill for 5-7 minutes on each side until evenly browned.
5. To serve, place two cutlets on a bed of spiced potato mash( see recipe overleaf) Pour over some Rogan Josh Masala Sauce and serve with cherry tomatoes
Rogan Josh Masala Sauce
Preparation time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 30 minutes
2-3 dried or fresh bay leaves
1 whole cinnamon stick
4 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tsp kasuri methi – dried fenugreek leaves
2 green chillies, de-seeded & finely diced 5 medium onions, finely chopped and pureed
3 garlic cloves, peeled & finely chopped
2 tsp Patak’s Rogan Josh curry paste
250g – chopped tomatoes – fresh or canned
1. Heat oil in a large shallow pan, add cinnamon, bay leaves and onion and cook for 10-15 minutes, until onions are lightly browned and soft.
2. Add chilli, garlic and ginger ,cook for further 2 minutes. Stir in Patak’s Rogan josh curry paste and cook for another minute, add a little water to prevent mixture from burning in the pan.
3. Add the tomatoes and 500ml water and season with salt.
4. Simmer gently for 15-20 minutes; blend to a smooth sauce with blender, consistency should be a thick onion masala sauce. Serve sauce hot accompanied with Rogan Josh Lamb Cutlets.
Special Potato Mash & Roasted cherry Vite Tomatoes
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
300g large floury potatoes- Desiree or King Edward, peeled and diced
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped and pureed
¼ tsp ground turmeric
1 tbsp vegetable oil
¼ tsp mustard seeds
¼ cumin seeds
1-2 tbsp fresh chopped coriander leaves
Juice of ½ lemon
Season to taste
Cherry vine tomatoes
1. Pre-heat oven to gas mark 6
2. Put the potatoes in a pan of lightly salted water and bring to boil
And cook for 12-15 minutes or until cooked through.
3. Drain well and add melted butter & turmeric, mash until smooth.
4.Mix in the turmeric, ginger ,garlic and chopped coriander lemon, juice and season according to taste.
5. In a frying pan, heat the oil gently and add the mustard and cumin seeds. When the seeds began to crackle, add into mash and stir.
6. Scatter cherry tomatoes on a baking tray, drizzle olive oil. Roast in the oven for 10-12 minutes until they begin to soften.
7. Serve Rogan Josh lamb cutlets on a bed of spiced mash and spoon the Rogan Josh Masala sauce over the cutlets; serve alongside roasted cherry Vine tomatoes.