This is the second recipe from Oli Khan at the brilliant wonderful Surma takeaway.
Serves 4 (main dish)
4 whole pomfret, make several diagonal cut on each side
2tbsp finely chopped garlic
8 fresh tomatos finely chopped
3 tbsp finely chopped onion
2tbsp chopped coriander
2tsp mustard seed. Salt to taste
350gm fresh spinach chopped
1 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp green chilli, finely chopped
1 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp chilli powder
2 tsp tomato puree
4 tbsp mustard oil
1 bunch chives (for garnish)
3 red dry chillies (for garnish)
- Mixing 2tsp oil, turmeric, ground coriander and 1tsp mustard in a bowl.
- Put the fish in to the spice, apply evenly and marinade for 30 minutes.
- Put a tawa under medium heat. Put mustard oil. When the tawa is hot put the pomfret two at a time onto the tawa. Fry each side until little golden brown; after they’ve finished frying, keep them on the hotplate.
- Put the mustard oil in a medium size non-stick pan and set over medium heat, when hot sprinkle on the remaining mustard seeds. After a few seconds add 1tsp garlic and stir until golden brown. Put the spinach in and salt to taste, cover and bring to a simmer for 5 minutes. Put this in a dish and keep it on the hot plate for warmth.
- Making tomato sauce: prepare a wide non-stick saucepan to medium heat. Add a little oil and when hot put the garlic and onion in; stir for about 5 minutes. Add salt, then chilli powder and all the chopped tomato and chopped chilly. Keep stirring until smooth; now add 2 cups of water and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the frying pomfret into the sauce and simmer for 5/10 minutes or until cooked.
- Add the chopped coriander. Serve with spinach, garnish with chives and dry red chilli.