Our friends at Patak’s have given us a set of four recipes to share in preparation for Diwali.
First up is a yellow korma lentils dish with toasted naan sticks:
Yellow Korma Lentils
350g yellow lentils (can use red lentils)
2 medium onions-finely diced
2 tomatoes –de-seeded & finely diced
3-4 fresh or dried curry leaves
1-2 tbsp Patak’s korma curry paste
2-3 tbsp vegetable oil
½ tsp asafoetida
½ tsp black mustard seeds
½ tsp cumin seeds
Juice of half lemon Salt to taste
1. Rinse and soak lentils in cold water for 30 minutes
2. Drain the lentils and add to a large pan with water, simmer Gently for 45-50 minutes or until lentils are well cooked. skim off Any starch foam that rises to the surface with a ladle.
3. In a separate pan, heat the oil over a gentle heat, add the cumin Seeds and mustard seeds. once they start to pop add the curry leaves And asafoetida. Take care not to burn the mixture.
4. Add the diced onions and cook for 4-5 minutes until golden
5. Add Patak’s Korma paste and tomatoes and cook for a further 4-5 minutes.
6. Add cooked lentils and season according to taste
7. Squeeze in the lemon juice.
8. serve with toasted naan sticks.
Toasted Naan Sticks
Preparation time: 5 mins
Cooking time: 6 mins
Patak’s Plain Naan Breads x 2
Olive oil for Drizzling
Rock salt for seasoning
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180 C /350 F / Gas Mark 4.
2. Slice long strips of naan bread using a pizza cutter or a sharp bread knife.
3. Arrange on a baking tray and drizzle with olive oil. Season with Rock salt cook for 5-6 minutes until lightly toasted.
4. Once cooled, store in an air tight container for a couple of days – A crunchy texture improves next day.
5. Serve with hot dhals or soup.